When Rachael Heller was a kid, she:
- Weighed over 200 pounds at 12 years of age and over 300 pounds at 17
- Suffered from stroke-level high blood pressure at 12 years of age and developed obesity-related irregular heart beat and heart murmur
- Experienced extreme mood swings related to undiagnosed low-blood-sugar problems; failed scholastically; was considered the "loser" of the family
- Was taunted and physically abused by her brother and teased unmercifully by classmates because of her weight
- Stole, lied, and cheated to get the junk food she craved in order to feed her carbohydrate habit
- Contemplated suicide because she could no longer endure the emotional pain and self-blame
- Prayed for one thing and one thing only - to be normal.
Dr. Rachael Heller today has:
- Lost over 165 pounds, now wears size 6, and has maintained weight loss for over 14 years
- Been awarded four academic degrees (BA, MA, M.Ph., Ph.D.) and twice named Helena Rubenstein Scholar
- Been appointed as professor at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine & City University of New York Graduate Center, retired
- With her husband, revolutionized research into the cause & treatment of carbohydrate addiction and has helped more than one million people in their quest for freedom from their struggle with their eating and weight
- Co-authored the New York Times bestselling book The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, as well as the national bestseller Healthy for Life, and The Carbohydrate Addict's Program for Success, The Carbohydrate Addict's Gram Counter, Carbohydrate-Addicted Kids, and most recently, The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program.
- Achieved ideal weight as well as health, physical and mental, and lives free of the fear of gaining back any of the 165 pounds she has lost.